Monday, February 23, 2009

Please Pardon the Interruption

When I started this blog, my intentions were to show the other side of Miami that few of us are aware exist. Although I only have a few entries, I'm finding this task to be much more of a challenge than I expected. I have discovered that there is plenty going on, but the challenge lies in actually doing these things.
There are a few reasons for this. Being a full time student and having a job means I’m usually not available to attend these events because they interfere with my schedule. My free time is Thursday to Saturday after 9 p.m. How convenient. I feel that there is an underlying issue here and it’s more than just not having time, it's about money. Allow me to explain.
First of all, the options are endless when getting ready to go out with your friends. My best friend lives in Atlanta and she can count the number of lounges and clubs with her two hands. In Miami, this is not the case. On any given night, you can find numerous clubs that are good. You have South Beach, Brickell, or Downtown (if you dare) as options. Once you choose the area, the fun begins: someone knows someone that knows someone that can get us the "hook-up." Meaning, get enough people (girls) and you get free entry and more than likely a few drinks (if you weren't lucky enough to get a bottle). The result? A long night of partying that costs less than a night at the movies. Yes, everyone, it is cheaper to go out a couple nights a week then it is to watch the latest blockbuster. The ticket alone is $10 and what’s a movie without popcorn and candy?
I am by no means making excuses for myself. I simply love going out. I'm also aware of the fact that $20 in my wallet will more than likely stay put if I go out to a club than if I choose to stay home with friends. This past weekend was a perfect example. Our quiet wine night cost us over $30. It is for this reason that makes going out so easy. Even if I can barely afford to buy groceries, I know I can have a great night out with my girlfriends without spending any money. Trust me, it's been done.

No comments:

Post a Comment